Back End DeveloperSomo, United kingdom , BRISTOL
As PHP Developer you will work as part of a small but growing engineering team in the UK. You will be focused on building backend systems in support of client and internal mobile applications, as well as mobile websites and web applications from the ground up. The PHP Developer will work closely with a variety of teams and project managers to ensure projects are delivered on time and exceed client expectations. You will have a desire to work with a team of talented designers, user experience experts, innovation specialists and various platform engineers to design and build the next generation of mobile applications and sites. Your approach means you are solutions focussed, your experience gives you breadth in various types of systems and architectures, and you possess energy, drive and determination. You take pride in everything you do, creating highly polished, rigorously tested code and documentation. You are keen to learn as well as educate.
As Back End Developer you will be hands-on in terms of day-to-day development and will have a number of years’ experience working with web-based projects using PHP and MySQL.
You will sit within our growing UK, Bristol-based engineering team working very closely with our Head of Engineering, platform engineers, designers and other teams within the company in collecting requirements, specifying, building and testing new features and functionality. You will be able to troubleshoot support requests from internal users, build out demonstration cases for new projects and write first class documentation against your code.
You'll have strong SQL skills and understand what’s needed to make your code scale and perform fast. You possess a keen interest in researching and experimenting new technologies and are a thought-leader in your field.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing and maintaining PHP applications, APIs and sites for mobile platforms
• Designing, administering and optimising MySQL databases.
• Administration of the LAMP stack (shell scripting, server configuration/administration, etc.)
• Write comprehensive documentation to accompany your code.
• Thoroughly test your own code and that of your team.
• Work with others to collect requirements and write technical specifications.
• Write code to create APIs or to integrate with 3rd party systems and APIs.
• Work with our QA team to investigate, diagnose and fix bugs and performance issues.
• Introduce automated tests to ensure our code and apps continue to run reliably 24/7.
• Lead with knowledge keeping up-to-date with technical advances in your field and making improvements to systems and processes.
• Keep code documentation up to date.
You’ll have strong communication skills, a can-do approach, the ability to work to challenging deadlines and the understanding that at times you’ll need to jump from project to project as needs dictate.
• Degree level qualification in a technical discipline, preferably CompSci or BSC Software Engineering.
• 3 - 5 years commercial experience working on projects.
• Hands-on leadership skills.
• Demonstrable client-facing experience.
• Experience coaching and growing less experienced members of the team.
• Good documentation skills.
• Extensive PHP development experience (OOP and functional).
• Extensive experience with Symfony2; experience with Doctrine.
• Experience of custom API design.
• Experience of securing data and authentication methods
• Strong MySQL skills and the knowledge to write fast, optimised queries.
• Integration with Web Services or APIs using a variety of styles, such as SOAP, REST and RPC
• An understanding and demonstrable experience of design patterns and a range of data structures
• Good knowledge of Linux server administration and infrastructure, deployment and migration strategies.
• Experience with Apache or NGINX web servers.
• Experience with GIT.
• Unit testing: PHPUnit.
• Ideally JenkinsCI, but not mandatory.
• Demonstrates our core values.
• Administration of AWS EC2/RDS etc. is a plus.
• Experience with Java, Python or Ruby.
• Use of JIRA
• Knowledge of CMS products, e.g. Wordpress, Drupal, CQ5, Magnolia, Interwoven
• Great leadership skills.
• Good commercial acumen.
• Demonstrable attention to detail and a passion for quality.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Self-motivated with an ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Able to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
• Good self-management and organisational skills.
• Strong problem identification and resolution skills.
• Passionate about mobile and building award-winning solutions.
• Keeps abreast of latest developments.